02/08/2012

Designer Feature: Jolita Jewellery


I can just see in my minds eye a fashion shoot with Jolita Jewellery on display; delicate woven strands of colour, feather and bead, statement silver skulls and crosses and childish flower motifs. This is the kind of jewellery that everyone wants to wear but not everyone can pull off. Thankfully there are tons of ideas flowing from the Jolita designer, Algis Abromaitis, including some more subtle designs that are perfect for the less-daring, or perhaps the more mature jewellery wearer. For example, 'Seychelles', this white and grey woven necklace with just a hint of hot pink is completed with gold and diamond-like droplets to give it a more traditional touch.


Algis is inspired by Momento Mori jewellery where human hair was used to create intricate jewellery and given to a loved one. His own pieces inspired by this include a significant representing symbol of Momento Mori, the skull, and a whole collection has been dedicated to this, entitled ‘Voodoo’. The happy twist in Algis’ jewellery collections are that they are woven from silk, and not human hair!

INTERVIEW
Tell me a little more about Jolita Jewellery.
My sister encouraged me to set up the company a few years back and here we are now. I’m originally from Lithuania and I’ve been living in London for about 15 years. I design the jewellery and my sister takes care of all the social media, marketing, etc.

Why do you make jewellery?
I’ve never really thought about it…really it just happened and I enjoy it!



What inspires you most?
Art, history, literature, films, people – I am inspired by everything that surrounds me.

What is your favourite colour?
Black, however at the moment I am obsessed with a combination of purple and silver grey.

What is your favourite medium to work with?
Again it changes, but at the moment it is silk as there is so much you can do with it. I usually buy raw un-dyed silk and then work on it depending on my mood.

Find more about Jolita Jewellery at www.facebook.com/jolitajewellery, @JolitaJewellery (Twitter) and www.jolitajewellery.wordpress.com.
Shop now at www.jolitajewellery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment