26/08/2012

Artist Feature: Mehriban Efendi


Characteristically, award winning artist Mehriban Efendi’s paintings are vividly colourful and detailed; line and mark making are also important aspects of Mehriban’s art work, creating movement and abstract ‘mirages’. Mehriban’s mixed media painting entitled ‘Harmony’ (below) has been chosen as one of a select few pieces of art, from tens of thousands of entries, to be included in the upcoming Artists Wanted ‘Art Takes Times Square’ publication. 


The publication will feature the very best of the artwork that was screened in Times Square back in June of this year as an attempt to hold a sort of self-curated exhibition in one of the most iconic cities on Earth; artists submitted their own work to be featured on some of Time Squares billboards as part of a huge, global showcase. Due to the popularity of the event, it is a great privilege for Mehriban to have her work in the publication and it’s not hard to see why ‘Harmony’, and her other paintings, are so popular. Take a look at LIQUORICE’s interview with Mehriban Efendi…

Tell LIQUORICE a little more about yourself.
I was born in Baku, Azerbaijan Republic, and I attended the Baku State art school called A. Azimzadeh, and the Moscow animation school of Soyuz Multfilm. Paricipating in many creative fields, I have exhibited my collections of dresses and other works as an artist. These have been displayed in many galleries not only at Azerbaijan Republic but also other countries. I work in the film studio of ‘Azerbaijanfilm’ as the head of the department of costumes and requisites and as an art director and costume designer in feature films, advertisings and TV serials.  
  
                          


What inspires you most?
Usually nice music can drive me up, and I may lose the sense of reality.
I have enjoyed painting ever since I really opened my eyes and saw this fantastic world we live in. When I was 5 years old, I felt an unusual feeling of being close to God, Space, and the Universe. That mystic sense is the major challenge of inspiration, which leads me to imagination to put everything from sub-consciousness to the consciousness on paper.

What is your favourite colour?
My favorite colour is turquoise. I love colour, and that is my primary tool of expression. I like to use colour to highten the emotion of the natural world. Also unusual combinations of symbols, figures, and lines are the major characteristics that my art works have in common. I use colour in abstract pieces to show balance, transformation, and interaction of energies.

What is your favourite medium to work in and why?
 I love to mix mediums. But my favourite medium is oil, acrylic and water colours on canvas. Also, I use a special combination of an unusual mixture which can only be seen close up!

Find more about Mehriban Efendi here: www.simpley.com/mery (website design by Adrian Durham, creator of www.alittlebitindividual.com)

2 comments:

  1. Her paintings are superb, fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just! Thank you for reading! :)

      Delete