31/07/2012

Artist Feature: Stephanie Bolze

Stephanie Bolze’s ‘Weeping Willow’ series is an expression of emotion; tormented and obscured the paint depicts an inner turmoil with contrasting monochromes and tiny hints of colour, perhaps suggesting something deeper, hidden. The texture of paint and paper adds detail and depth to the painting which almost implies it is an abstraction of something three dimensional and the wildness of brush strokes allows the viewer to create their own picture and interpretation, much like seeing shapes when staring at clouds.
INTERVIEW

Tell LIQUORICE a little about yourself:
I am self-taught and I work mainly with a palette-knife, it took me about 10 years to develop my abstract style as one day I just realised that what I had to say could no longer be expressed through figurative art. The change came very rapidly because I was ready for it and today there’s no turning back. I actually originally graduated from business school in France, where I was born and raised. I worked in banking, and then had the opportunity to live in Mexico with my family. There I discovered a completely different environment which influenced a change in my view of things: I also had my first solo exhibition in Mexico City. I have been back, living in France for a few months now and my work is changing; becoming more mature and stronger.

What inspires you the most?
I seek to make my art a vehicle to my interpretations of emotions and moments surrounding me through colours and images. I am engaging myself to reach others, aiming at the inner core of my own emotions to understand and represent the universal sparks that unite all human beings, as profound and complex as they may be.

What is your favourite colour?
My favourite colour is blue but I love to work with blacks and whites because they don’t allow for compromise.

What is the concept behind the ‘Weeping Willows’ series?
The series is designed to tell about inner sorrows like the ones you would write in a private diary. The palette is limited and always the same except for a choice between two shades for the third colour in order to give complete freedom to the viewer to feel and be touched by his own associated emotions.

Find more of Stephanie Bolze’s work on her Facebook page, at www.stephaniebolze.com, the Facebook page of ‘Modern and Contemporary Art’, ‘The Tranquillo Room’ and www.saatchionline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment